Choosing a fluorescent or LED linear luminaire for use in hazardous areas (both for gas and dust) requires extra attention due to the application and environmental conditions.
Most important from technical point of view for the Operations / Maintenance department are:
- Choice of material. Most luminaires are made of polycarbonate, including the transparent part (lens). One of the disadvantage of using polycarbonate is that it is permeable. This means that moisture (water) will get inside the luminaire and creates condensation. We all know: water and electronics are not a good combination……
- Electrical connections need to be visually and physically checked on a regular basis in order as part of the maintenance cycle (is there corrosion on the contacts, are the connections still good and are the screws still tightened).
- Maintenance on the cable gland connection / tightness. This applies to both the gland itself as well as the cable going through the gland. Due to temperature changes and movement of the cable, the tightness may loosen, resulting in water ingress.
- While doing maintenance by removing covers, it is very likely that the internal gaskets of the luminaire housing or that of the cover will be damaged or deformed which will again result in water ingress as the gasket in no longer sealing of the luminaire from moisture / water.
- Screws, clips for closing the luminaire can corrode easily, even when they are stainless steel and break when trying to unscrew of unlock them. This is especially the case in seawater environments (offshore and locations close to sea)
The abovementioned points, and more, are directly resulting into lots and lots of maintenance and/or replacements of components and even of complete luminaires. A more professional construction, already proven technology by various manufacturers over a period of more than 10 year, is to install sealed for life and maintenance free luminaires like the TNAML-series. The disadvantages of costly maintenance and/or replacements are then no longer something that Operations / Maintenance departments have to cope with. They can then focus on the process of their company.
When using these TNAML series there are multiple advantages in comparison to the so called ‘plastic’ luminaires:
- The lens is made of safety glass, IK10 impact rating
- No mistakes / problems after or during maintenance as the TNAML-series are sealed for life and maintenance free
- All electrical connections (including cable glands) are sealed after installation
- Increased safety for onsite personnel due to no maintenance
- No expensive scaffolding and/or (hot) working permits issues
- Adjustable mounting brackets
- FIT AND FORGET!!!!
In order to even further minimize the installation work on the TNAML series, it can be supplied with a flying lead. All electrical connections in the luminaire are then already made and the luminaire is completely sealed in the factory. The contractor merely needs to connect the end of the flying lead to a junction box and it is ready for use. The TNAML series are now also available in LED version!
Using the TNAML series is not only improving your personal safety by increased lighting levels, but so much more.
As the title say: It is not ‘just lighting’ it is a concept!
Contact email@example.com for any further information or call us at +31 (0)183 631295